Achieving the right ambience for your home goes hand-in-hand with how much you enjoy spending time there.
Whether you’re entertaining guests on a sunny day or winding the kids down before bedtime, it’s so important to feel comfortable. It’s a worthy goal, and one that’s reached with clever interior design.
Choosing between tranquil and lively décor is difficult. There’s a lot to think about, from a room’s purpose to your own personal taste. Do straight lines and neutral colours reflect your style, or are brightly coloured patterns more up your street?
We’ve enlisted the help of two top bloggers to tell us how they’ve made each style work for them.
The Fairytale Pretty Picture author Alina is an award winning fashion and interior design blogger, who talks everything from wonderful weddings to beautiful botanicals.
While recently redecorating her first home, Alina found an opportunity to step out of her comfort zone, trying her hand at bold and beautiful interiors for the first time.
Alina’s top tips for styling bold colours
1. Start with a blank canvas to create a stark contrast against your chosen accent colours. It’ll give you more flexibility when it comes to choosing accessories and furniture, and means your walls won’t be a problem if you decide to rethink your colour scheme.
2. When it comes to painting white over deep-coloured walls, make sure to apply multiple coats for a more vivid result. There’s nothing worse than finishing a paint job, only to realise it looks a little dull later. Invest time early on to get it right.
3. Introduce colour using accessories if you’re cautious about overpowering the room. You can add as much or as little colour as you like, and change what’s on show between seasons. Summertime accessories like bright cushions and pretty indoor plants suit the longer, sunny days.
Antonia runs her blog #tidylife with her husband. She’s hot on the tail of the latest interior trends and full of crafty ideas you can try yourself.
For Antonia, the bedroom should be treated as a sanctuary – a place to relax away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. So bright hues are banished, and her interior choices are all made with a restful night’s sleep in mind.
Antonia’s top tips for styling calm colours
1. Swap dark or bold shades on the walls for calmer hues. I’ve gone for a soft pink shade which is instantly calming.
2. Choose bedding to gently contrast with the walls. I’ve gone for a grey headboard with simple white sheets, and added a fur throw and cushions for a soothing look and feel.
3. I love the botanical trend, and it’s easy to work in subtly by dotting a few faux plants and leaves around the room. The feathers and pineapple wall-art in my bedroom were made using free printables that I found on Pinterest, so they’re great value too.
Need more interiors inspiration? Our article on how to Personalise your Living Room is here to help.